Saying goodbye is never easy, and it’s especially hard for pets. For one thing, you can explain your itinerary to them all day and they won’t really get it. “I’ll be home at six,” means nothing because the average dog doesn’t understand the future tense, nor the concept of “six.”
That’s why goodbyes are sometimes so heartbreaking, even if you’ll only be apart for an hour. These saddened pet owners really know the pain.
1. When the realization of what an airport means kicks in.
2. When a single gesture means so much.
3. When you’re off to college.
5. When you forget an important goodbye ritual, like the proper number of scratches.
6. When you realize that they can see you leaving.
8. When you thought you could just slip out.
12. When a stranger appreciates your kindness.
14. When you get the spontaneous hug.
16. …And when they seem to rediscover this each time.
17. When they really enjoyed your visit.